Thyme is growing like crazy in my garden! I thought it would be fabulous paired with bright lemon and my favorite vodka. It’s a refreshing summer cocktail! Leave out the vodka if you must.
This recipe should make 6 drinks.
- 10 whole Lemons
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 15 sprigs Fresh Thyme, Plus More For Garnish
- 6 ounces, fluid Vodka
- Club Soda
- 1 whole Lemon, Cut Into Wedges For Garnish
1. Use a vegetable peeler and peel large sections of the lemon peel, avoiding the bitter white pith. Repeat until you have 8 large lemon peelings.
2. To make the lemon-thyme syrup, in a sauce pot, add the sugar, water and the lemon peels. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the thyme sprigs. Set aside to cool to room temperature. When cool, strain and discard the lemon peel and thyme sprigs.
3. Cut each of the lemons in half (the same lemons that we peeled) and squeeze to reserve the lemon juice, discarding the seeds. Pour the lemon juice and the lemon-thyme syrup into a large pitcher.
4. To make the cocktail, fill each glass with ice and add 1 ounce of vodka to each glass. Fill with the vodka lemonade and top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with a sprig of thyme and a lemon wedge.