This treasured family recipe allows you to make one perfect margarita or a bathtub full. Ingredient options are listed for good, better and best, depending on your budget.
- 2 ounces, fluid Tequila (good: Costco, Better: José Cuervo, Best: Patrón)
- 1 ounce, fluid Orange Liqueur (good: Triple Sec, Better: Cointreau, Best: Grand Marnier
- 2 ounces, fluid Sweet And Sour Mix (e.g. Mr&Mrs T’s Or Master Of Mixes)
- ¼ teaspoons Rose’s Sweetened Lime Juice
- 1 piece Fresh Lime
- Kosher Salt
This recipe is all about ratios. I’ve listed the ingredients as ounces to make one large margarita. Replace ounces with “cup” to make a batch, or with “bottle” to make enough for a crowd.
1. Rub a piece of lime around the rim of a glass.
2. Dip the rim in a saucer filled with kosher salt.
3. Squeeze the piece of lime in the glass and throw it in the bottom.
4a. If you have a cocktail shaker, fill the glass part with ice, add all the liquid ingredients, put the metal part over the glass, and shake for at least as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday. Pour the mixture into the glass.
4b. If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, fill the salt-rimmed glass with ice. Add all the liquid ingredients to a blender, then blend for as long as you feel like it. Pour the mixture into the ice-filled glass.
When shaken, the ingredients in the Sweet and Sour Mix foam up and give these margaritas a nice, airy head. Ergo, when consumed, these margaritas will turn you into an air-head.