It’s evening and the kids are (finally) asleep. Now it’s mommy time. I relax with a cozy blanket and warm cup of this spicy stovetop chai. You may not have all the spices on hand, but trust me, you’ll be stocking them all winter for this.
- 8 ounces, fluid Water
- 1 bag (Single-serving Size) Black Tea
- 1 stick (3-inch Size) Cinnamon Stick
- 1 whole Star Anise
- 1 teaspoon Whole Cloves
- ¼ teaspoons Whole Black Peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoons Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoons Whole Cardamom
- Honey, To Taste
- 4 ounces, fluid Milk
- Whipped Cream, For Garnish (optional)
- 1 pinch Chinese 5-Spice Powder, For Garnish (optional)
Put water, black tea, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, peppercorns, ginger, and cardamom in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a strong simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes with no lid.
Add honey and milk. Stir to heat through. Remove from heat, strain and serve! If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a pinch of Chinese 5-spice powder.