This week’s recipe won second prize at the Best of The Pacific Northwest competition and shows some serious creativity using mushrooms in a drink!
- 1-¾ ounce, fluid Chanterelle Infused Gin (Victoria, Which Is A New American Style)
- ¼ ounces, fluid Pineau Des Charantes (I Used Chateau D’Orignac But Marnier Works Great As Well)
- ½ ounces, fluid Shiitake Blueberry Shrub
- 2 dashes Tobacco Bitters
- FOR THE SHIITAKE BLUEBERRY SHRUB:
- 2 cups Diced Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 cup Frozen Or Overripe Blueberries
- 1 cup Organic Cane Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar, As Needed
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir with ice. Strain into a footed rocks glass with 1 medium ice cube. Garnish with a rosemary sprig
For the shiitake blueberry shrub:
Put mushrooms and blueberries in a bowl. Very gently press or muddle to break the skins of the blueberries.
Make like Def Leppard and pour some sugar on it, so that the solids are covered in sugar, as best as possible. Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for a few days, occasionally agitating to stir up the sugar into the forming syrup.
When the sugar is mostly gone, strain the syrup into a measuring cup. (It’s okay if some crystallized sugar gets in there, it’ll dissolve eventually.) Depending how much syrup you get (I got about a cup), match it with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar.
Pour that mixture into a bottle and store in the fridge. It will look separated at first but will fully mix after about a day.